What is RFID technology? How does it help farmers to manage animals?
What is RFID?
The full name of RFID is "Radio Frequency Identification". It is a wireless identification technology born in the 1950s. It can use radio for identification without contact. According to different radio frequencies, RFID systems can be divided into low frequency, high frequency, UHF and microwave.
Low frequency system (LF): system with RFID radio wave frequency lower than 134khz, complying with ISO / IEC 18000-2 standard;
High frequency system (HF): the system with RFID radio wave frequency of 13.56MHz shall comply with ISO / IEC 15693 (compatible with ISO / IEC 18000-3) and iso14443 standards;
Ultra high frequency system (UF): system with RFID radio wave frequency between 860 ~ 960MHz, complying with ISO / IEC 18000-6b / C standard;
Microwave system: RFID system with radio wave frequency of 2.4GHz, complying with ISO / IEC 18000-4 standard;
An RFID system generally consists of 4 parts: electronic tag, antenna, reader and application software.
1. The electronic tag is similar to the bar code in the bar code system. It integrates a chip that can input and output content for storing information. According to whether there is a battery, electronic labels are divided into active and passive. The active electronic tag has a battery, which is far from being readable compared with the passive electronic tag;
2. Antenna: generally connected to the reader / writer for receiving / transmitting electromagnetic waves;
3. Reader / writer: it is used to read the data of the electronic tag and transmit it to the upper computer application software system; Some can also write data into electronic labels;
4. Application software: a software system based on PC or PLC, which is used to process the data sent by the reader / writer;
Low frequency system
The typical working frequencies of low-frequency system include 125kHz, 225khz, 13.56MHz (non-contact IC card - working frequency of RF card), etc. RFID systems based on these frequency points generally have corresponding international standards. Their basic characteristics are: low cost of electronic tag, less data stored in the tag, short reading distance (passive, typical reading distance is 250px), weak directivity of reading antenna, etc.
Typical applications of low-frequency tags include animal identification, container identification, tool identification, electronic locking and anti-theft (car key with built-in transponder), etc. International standards related to low-frequency labels include iso11784 / 11785 (for animal identification) and iso18000-2 (125-135 kHz). There are many forms of low-frequency labels. The low-frequency labels used for animal recognition include collar type, ear tag type, injection type, pill type, etc.
Advantages of RFID
1. Inductive data acquisition is adopted, that is, the current information can be read out by shaking the collector gently at the ear tag attachment of the inspection point, which is simple and convenient.
2. The ear tag needs no wiring and is easy to install. The setting of code and the increase or decrease of inspection points are also simple and convenient.
3. The system label has a unique ID code, which is durable, and the information cannot be tampered with or copied.
4. Carry out intelligent tracking management for each livestock, and track the source livestock at the first time of the epidemic, so as to achieve timely prevention and control, trace the source and reduce the loss of livestock to the lowest point.
5. Information management, transparency and timeliness. Managers at all levels can simply manage and quickly query various feeding information through the network.
Application of RFID technology in animal husbandry
1. Real time monitoring and information collection
RFID technology provides convenient conditions for the farm. When the livestock with RFID electronic tag passes through the card reader, the card reader will automatically identify the target information and upload it to the control center. When it is sent to the user end, the user can monitor the livestock information in real time and carry out reasonable breeding according to the data information of RFID tag to ensure the healthy growth of livestock, Promote the improvement of quality and efficiency of animal husbandry products.
2. Livestock breeding, monitoring and management
The selection and breeding of livestock can be screened through the information stored in RFID electronic tag, and the livestock with bad gene information recorded in RFID tag can be deleted as an alternative, so as to improve the quality of breeds. The daily drinking water and food consumption of livestock recorded by RFID tags shall be strictly controlled to ensure that livestock have good health.
3. Livestock prevention and control and epidemic prevention management
RFID technology identifies the target by radio frequency and has a unique identification. It records the detailed information of livestock, such as whether they are sick, what drugs are used for treatment, when the sick area of livestock is disinfected, etc. In case of illness, you can quickly find and locate the target through RFID electronic tag, and contact the veterinarian for treatment and epidemic prevention.
4. Quality traceability management of livestock products
Product traceability requires searchable information at every step from product breeding to dining table. Through RFID technology, establish a set of perfect traceability information management system with the breeding and feeding information, epidemic prevention detection information, drug residue information, slaughter information and market supply information recorded and stored by electronic tags, so as to ensure the traceability of products in the supply chain, find out the causes and root causes of problems, and recall or destroy a sold defective product, Ensure food safety and reduce the harm coefficient of consumers.
5. Intelligent counting of animals
RFID technology can recognize high-speed moving targets without contact, and there is no screen barrier to reading. When the target wearing RFID tag passes through the reader, the tag communicates wirelessly with the reader to quickly and accurately record the number of target objects, improve work efficiency and reduce human errors.
6. Intelligent animal weighing
RFID tags are globally unique, and livestock wearing RFID tags have unique identity. When the reader on the intelligent weighing machine senses the RFID tag worn by the livestock, the reader will record the identity information and weight information of the target livestock, upload it to the control center, and display the important information of the target on the visual screen. RFID technology does not need contact and improves work efficiency; Reduce manual intervention links and human errors.